2018 Possessions, Peachcan Gallery, St. Croix, VI
2017 Chaney: Stories from Migrant Fragments (with Gitte Westergaard), Christiansted National Historic Site, St. Croix, VI
2017 Ledgers from a Lost Kingdom, Udstillingsstedet Meter, Copenhagen, Denmark
2011 The Great House (with Monica Marin), Estate Whim Museum, St. Croix, VI
2009 Hideaway, Maufe & Salt Gallery, St. Croix, VI
2005 Entre Mi Casa Y Tu Casa, Walsh Metal Works, St. Croix, VI
2005 Home Theater, Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam, La Habana, Cuba (catalog)
2002 Blackboard Productions, Walsh Metal Works, St. Croix, VI
2001 Postcard Series: Returned to Sender, Walsh Metal Works, St. Croix, VI
2000 Breathe, Taller Larjas, St. Croix, VI
1999 Visions of Hope for a New Millennium, Fort Frederick Museum, St. Croix, VI
2017 Universal Belonging, Prizm Art Fair, Miami, Curated by Mikhaile Solomon
2017 Behind Colonial Mirrors, Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen, Denmark, Curated by Mirja Thaulow
2017 Colonial Stories: Power and Representation, Gammel Holtegård, Rudersdal, Denmark, Curated by Marie Oxholm Zigler & Maria Gadegaard
2017 My Islands Do Not Make a Nation, Casa De Las Americas, La Habana, Cuba, Curated by Priscilla Hintz Rivera & David Knight, Jr.
2017 Blind Spots: Images of the Danish West Indies, Royal Danish Library, Copenhagen, Curated by Mette Kia Krabbe, Sarah Giersing & Mathias Danbolt
2017 100 Years of… A Centennial Transfer Reflection Exhibition, Bajo del Sol Gallery, St. John, VI, Curated by Priscilla Hintz Rivera & David Knight, Jr.
2017 Invisible Heritage: Transfer 2017, Caribbean Museum Center fo the Arts, Curated by Monica Marin
2017 Unravelings, Udstillingsstedet Meter, Copenhagen, Denmark, Curated by Rie Rasmussen & Louise Lassen
2017 New Blood, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix, Curated by Lucien Downes
2017 The Danish Connection, Top Hat Gallery, St. Croix, VI
2016 Take Five Performance Art Festival, St. Croix, VI, Curated by Monica Marin & Carla Acevedo Yates
2016 Where is Here, Museum of the African Diaspora, San Francisco, CA, Curated by Jacqueline Francis & Kathy Zarur
2016 Invisible Heritage: Memory, Identity & Our Town, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix, VI, Curated by Monica Marin
2016 An Ocean of Dignified Dust, Yacht Haven Grande, St. Thomas, VI, Curated by Priscilla Hintz-Rivera & David Knight Jr.
2016 Anatomy of an Heirloom, Top Hat Gallery, St. Croix
2015 Woman to Woman, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix. Curated by Carmen Mojica (catalog)
2015 Architecture and Landscape, National Park Service Steeple Building, St. Croix. Curated by Dr. Opal Palmer Adisa
2014 Caribbean Colors: Seeing Red, Yacht Haven Grande, St. Thomas, VI, Curated by Priscilla Hintz-Rivera
2012 Caribbean: Crossroads of the World, Museo del Barrio, NY, Curated by Elvis Fuentes
2011 New Media at the Trinidad and Tobago Film Festival, Medulla Gallery, Trinidad, WI, Curated by Holly Bynoe
2011 What’s On Your Mind: Narratives of a Counterfeit Persona, World Bank, Washington, DC, Curated by Edgar Endress
2011 Wrestling With The Image, Arts of the Americas Museum, Washington, DC. Curated by Chris Cozier & Tatiana Flores
2010 Paradise Lost, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix. Curated by Monica Marin
2010 Proximities, Alice Yard, Trinidad, Curated by Christopher Cozier
2009 Estado de Excepción, Galería La Habana, La Habana, Cuba. Curated by Tania Bruguera. Special Project for the 10th Biennale of La Habana.
2009 Facing Locality, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix, VI. Curated by Luis Camnizter.
2008 Overdragelse (Transfer), Overgaden Institute for Contemporary Art,Copenhagen, Denmark. Curated by Jacob Fabricius & La Vaughn Belle.
2006 Tumbando Caña/ Raising Cane, Curated by Gerville Larsen & Brenda Torres, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix, VI (catalog)
2006 Ghosts & Machines, Rush Arts Gallery, NY, NY. Curated by Jaret Vadera, (catalog)
2006 Access/Denied, Little Carib Theater, Trinidad, WI (catalog)
2006 Looking the Other Way, Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts, St. Croix, VI.Curated by La Vaughn Belle. (catalog)
2005 Ruta, La Habana Vieja, Cuba. Curated by la Cátedra de Arte Conducta.(catalog)
2004 Artivism, Correa Studio, St. Croix, VI, Curated by Elisa Blount-Moorehead.
2004 Centrífuga: Imagen en Movimiento, Centro de Desarrollo de Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba. Curated by la Cátedra de Arte Conducta.
2004 9X9, Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation, Baltimore, MD
2003 V Bienal del Caribe, Museo de Arte Moderno, Santo Domingo, DR
2003 Maneras de Inventarse una Sonrisa, Centro de Desarrollo de Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba. Special project for the 8th Biennale of
Havana. Curated byCaridad Blanco.
2003 Sin Titulo, Centro de Desarrollo de Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba.(catalog)
2003 Drawing & the Creative Mind, Walsh Metal Works, St. Croix, VI. Curated by Maude Pierre Charles.
2003 Performance in Reverse, Instituto Superior de Arte, La Habana, Cuba. Curated by Toni Labat & Tania Bruguera
2002 VIA Colectiva, Museo de las Americas, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Curated by José A. Pérez-Ruiz, Marimar Benítez & Andrés Marrero Martínez.
2001 IV Bienal del Caribe, Museo de Arte Moderno, Santo Domingo, DR
2001 Contemporary Caribbean Visions, Walsh Metal Works, St. Croix, VI. Curated by Michele Alfred & Gerard Alexis
2001 The Heart of Africa in the US Virgin Islands, Grand Galleria, St. Thomas, VI & Mattye Reed African Heritage Center, North Carolina. Curated
by Shira Sofer & Vandorn Hinnant. (catalog)
2001 Between the Lines, Centro Cultural Cariforo, Santo Domingo, DR. Juried by Marianne de Tolentino. (catalog)
2018 I Am Queen Mary, a monumentual public art project in collaboration with Danish artist Jeannette Ehlers in front of the Danish West Indian warehouse in Denmark
2005 Bonche, Transformation of the public bus in Havana (P4) into a space of revelry.
2003 Réquiem, Creation of funeral booklets for recently deceased persons in the national funeral home of Cuba, Calzada y K. Invited by the
DIP (Department of Public Interventions) for the 8th Biennale of Havana.
2003 Lighting, Collective intervention of sound works in Pabellon Cuba. Invited by RAIN for the 8th Biennale of Havana.
2003 La Paladar, Collective intervention. Simulation of Cuban restaurant in Old Havana.
RESIDENCIES & GRANTS
2017 Nordea Fonden Residency, Granted by Nordea Bank, Denmark
2017 Danish Arts Workshop, Granted by the Danish Ministry of Culture
2016 Danish Arts Workshop, Granted by the Danish Ministry of Culture
2014 UVI Cultural Award Grant, Granted by the University of the Virgin Islands
2012 Humanities Grant, Granted by the Virgin Islands Humanities Council
2012 UVI Cultural Award Grant, Granted by the University of the Virgin Islands
2010 Exhibition Grant, Granted by the Virgin Islands Council of the Arts
2008 DIVA Exchange Program, Danish Council of the Arts, Copenhagen, Denmark
2006 Big River 3, International Artist Workshop, Invited by CCA7, Trinidad, WI
2004 Exhibition Grant, Granted by the Virgin Islands Council of the Arts
2003 Creative Fellow, Granted by the Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation in conjunction with Brandywine Workshop Philadelphia, Penn.
2000 Exhibition Grant, Granted by the Virgin Islands Council of the Arts
2017 Royal Copenhagen, The Årets Harald Prize
2017 Flensberg Maritime Museum
2017 Museum Vestsjælland, Denmark
2017 Danish National Museum of Photograph
2002-05 Instituto Superior de Arte, La Habana, Cuba
M.F.A. Degree, Visual Arts
2002-04 Taller de Arte de Conducta, Performance Art Program
2000 School of Visual Arts, New York, NY
1996-99 Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
M.A. Degree, Curriculum Design & Teaching: Secondary Education
1991-95 Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY
B.A. Degree, English/ Sociology
2000-01 University of the Virgin Islands, St. Croix, VI
2006-16 Instructor- taught Humanities Ouverture, survey course of artistic disciplines in the Caribbean: orality, verse, music, dance, visual arts, theatre & film.
2005 Survey In World Art, survey course in art history.
2011-16 Drawing I & Painting I, experimental and advanced techniques
2012-16 Public Art, course designed to make site-specific projects in the towns
- Knight, Jr, David, "Animism and the Colonial Imagination", catalog essay, June 2018
- Vestergaard Jørgensen, Anna, “Sprækken som (kunst)historisk berørings- punkt i værker af Carla Zaccagnini, Annarosa Krøyer Holm og La Vaughn Belle/ The crack as (art) historical touch point in works by Carla Zaccagnini, Annarosa Krøyer Holm and La Vaughn Belle” Periskop, Spring 2018
- Selsoe Sorensen, Martin, "Denmark Gets First Public Statue of a Black Women, A 'Rebel Queen', New York Times, March 31, 2018
- Danbolt, Mathias & Michael K. Wilson, "A Monumental Challenge to Danish History", Kunstkritikk, April 26, 2018
- Wilson, Michael K., “Visualizing Vocabularies of the Counter Archive: A Conversation with La Vaughn Belle”, Interviewing The Caribbean Winter 2017
- “We Carry It Within Us”, documentary film directed by Helle Stenum, 2017
- Terp, Andreas, “ I bevidstheden er Danmark stadig en kolonimagt”/ “In Consciousness Denmark is Still a Colonial Empire”, Foljeton, September 12, 2017
- Belle, La Vaughn, “A Journey in Three Acts”, St. Croix Avis, March 31, 2017
- Ravn, Anna Raaby & Rasmussen, Anita Brask, “Historien bestemmes af det blik, der rettes mod den”/ “History is determined by the gaze of who is looking”, Information, March 17 2017
- Schmidt, Gudrun Marie, “Kunster fra St. Croix til danskerne: Jeg mener faktisk, alle burde sige undskyld”/ “Artist from St. Croix to the Danes: I believe everyone should give an apology”, Politiken, March 9, 2017
- Belle, La Vaughn, “Photomontage Series: Juxtapositions and Unsilenced Soliloquies”, Marronage No. 1, March 2017
- Kunster fra De Vestindiske Kunstner fra Øer skildrer kolonitiden og slavernes liv i sin kunst/ “Artist from the West Indies depicts the colonial era and slavery in her art”, aired on Danish National Radio on February 22, 2017
- McVey, Kurt, “Performance Art Series in St. Croix, Take 5, Calls For Love and Rebellion”, Whitehot Magazine, January 2017
- Fundstucke aus der der Zeit des Kolonialismus, Flensburger Tagebblatt, August 15, 2016
- “Kald Mig Bare Brun”/ “Call Me Brown”, episode 1, aired on Danish National TV, April 27, 2016
- Belle, La Vaughn, St. Croix This Week, February & March cover 2016
- Bishop, Jacqueline, “La Vaughn Belle’s Contemporary Art Practice in Speaking in Layers”, Huffington Post, October 3, 2014
- Knight, Jr, David, “Big Art From A Small Place”, Caribbean Beat, July/August 2014
- Knight, Jr, David, “Idiosyncrasies of Place”: A Conversation with La Vaughn Belle, ARC Magazine (online), June 25, 2012
- Bagoo, Andre, “A New Space of Sound and Fury”, ARC Magazine (online), September 29, 2011
- Curley, Maura, “The Copenhagen Connection”, Virgin Voice, November 2008, pg 8
- Ross, Trine, “Kunst Og Caribien”, Politiken, September 27, 2008, pg 11
- Belle, La Vaughn, “Public Records, Private Interest”, GAS, Pork Salad Press, Vol. 2, Nov 2006
- Belle, La Vaughn, “Bull and Bread”, GAS, Pork Salad Press,Vol. 1, January 2006
- James, Wayne, “Top Scholars Visit St. Thomas”, St. Croix Avis, May 3, 2001
- Featured drawings, The Caribbean Writer, Vol. 14, pgs. 142 & 287, 2000
“Alchemy of Creative Resistance”, Bridgewater State University, March 22, 2018
Artist Talk, Charlottenberg Kunstahl, October 5, 2017
“I Am Queen Mary”, Artist Talk with La Vaughn Belle and Jeannette Ehlers, West Indian Warehouse, October 1, 2017
“Alternate Histories: Artist Talk with La Vaughn Belle and Tiphanie Yanique”, Danish Royal Library, June 1, 2017
“Seeing Sorry: Visuality and Reparative Discourse”, Danish Royal Library, June 1, 2017
“Uncertain Archives: Ledgers from a Lost Kingdom”, University of Copenhagen, March 12, 2017
“From Imagination to Freedom: Maroon Strategies in the Visual Arts”, SUCCEED (St. Croix Unified for Community, Culture, Environment and Economic Development) & VICCC (Virgin Islands Caribbean Cultural Center) panel discussion on the Maroons of St. Croix, St. Croix Campus of University of the Virgin Islands, September 26, 2014
“Losing Our Virginity: Contemporary Art of the Virgin Islands”, 1st Biannual Conference of Music and Art at the University of the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas Campus of the University of the Virgin Islands, March 17, 2014
“Public Art of the Virgin Islands”, Art Thursday, Taller Larjas, St. Croix, VI, November 21, 2013